» » Google opens office in Malaysia

jazz1011
(top contributor)
Msg #1
04-03-2011 12:38 pm

Hi All,

For once, this is totally not related to lottery - but it's just something I'd like to share with all of you here.

Just found out that Internet giant, Google has finally opened an office in Malaysia 2-months ago. Probably some of you might have already knew about it.

So, anyone interested in working with this search engine giant? From what I've read and researched, Google has always been ranked as one of the top 100 best companies to work for since their inception. And the perks & benefits they give their employees are simply "too-good-to-even-describe".

I've always wanted to join Google since the day I found out about them, but unfortunately the vacancies that they're advertising for their Malaysian office now are not in my scope and expertise :(

Perhaps Cupin, you could try and apply to them. With your exceptional programming and IT skills, I think you would stand a brighter chance of getting employed with them :)

What about the rest of you? Anyone interested? :)
Cupin
(a geek)
Msg #2
04-03-2011 01:38 pm

Hi jazz1011,

Thanks for the info. Yeah I'm notice about that 2 month ago. They open the office in KLCC. Last 2 years, they also planning to move all their servers in Singapore to Malaysia because of the low cost and good infrastructure we have here. I've seen their servers in one of our datacentre here in Malaysia. They are plenty of them :) Regarding the job, they are not hiring the technical people right now, only marketing and sales. Last week, they has run some tweak and changes on how search result will display. This topic is still havoc around the web. The changes in algorithm has been named as "Panda Update" :)
jazz1011
(top contributor)
Msg #3
04-03-2011 02:37 pm

Hey Cupin,

Glad you notice their presence in Malaysia too.

Since they are moving all their servers from Singapore to Malaysia - does it mean they are downsizing their Singapore office?

Coz from what I heard, Google won't be planning to hire a lot of staffs in the KL office as their Singapore office already has a complete organisational structure comprising HR, Admin, Finance, Sales, Technical, R&D, etc.

And due to the short distance from Malaysia to Singapore, everything can be coordinated easily.

Thus, for Malaysia they would only be hiring a minimal amount of staff for "back-up" purposes - as they would be concentrating more on Sales & Marketing here.

What do you think, Cupin?

Is the news I mentioned above true, according to your sources?
Cupin
(a geek)
Msg #4
04-03-2011 04:24 pm

I'm not sure if they will moving all the servers to Malaysia. They has put all their datacentre on most of the country in this world. I don't think they will downsizing Singapore office. Yes I agree with you. I think in Malaysia, they just open small office to make more sales on advertising. This is where the big money come from to them. I also notice in Malaysia, we are lack of advertiser that market with google. I have other website that really make good money but that site audience is international.
jazz1011
(top contributor)
Msg #5
04-03-2011 04:48 pm

If it''s true they are only going to concentrate on minor roles in Malaysia, then there goes my chances of joining Google :(

But again, I heard that it's not easy joining them. They only look for the cream of the crop. And their interview selection is very, very stringent - with many stages in which you have to pass before you finally get employed.

However, once you're in, that's where they reward you with all those excellent perks and benefits :)
Cupin
(a geek)
Msg #6
04-03-2011 05:10 pm

Yes, you are right. They will ask you something like this:

How many golf ball can fit in one bus?

hehehehe...
jazz1011
(top contributor)
Msg #7
04-03-2011 05:53 pm

That sounds more like an IQ or aptitude test.

Honestly I can't even answer that ... hahaha. I don't think I can even pass the first round ;)
You must be to reply. You can also for an account.